Naming Guide for scenery development

• Hi folks,

I like to introduce my naming convention for my scenery development. This is - of cause - discussable, but it would be nice if we can agree on a naming and design convention, because it makes it much easier to integrate sceneries if they cover similar areas.

Let me show you how I do it:

Under the general scenery folder I define my area:

I have a documentation folder for readme and other stuff not used by aerofly.

elevation, images and places are the folders needed from aerofly to work.

Unter each of them I make sub directories defining the areas covered.

All of them starting with the type.

ele_ for elevation, img_ for the map images, apt_ for airport data, cul_ for independent cultivation areas.

After that the level of detail is coded: 09_ and the "name" of the area: 8b80_b880_

This is the unique identification.

For a faster identification I also add a name for this area.

Inside the elevation folder elevation files of this area are included:

ele_09_8a00_a980_prague\maph_11_8a60_a9c0.tth

Inside the images folder all ortho files:

img_09_8a00_a980_prague\map_12_8a00_a9b0.ttc

Inside the airport folders the airport data are included:

If it is just a basic tsc file;

apt_09_8a00_a980_prague\LKRO-Roudnice.tsc

If you have a bigger airport with textures and stuff make a subdirectory for it.

Inside the cultivation folder put the building_textures folder, the cul_11_8bc0_a8a0.tsc and the cul_11_8bc0_a8c0.toc.

Use the same tile system like maps and elevation. In this case you don't need to find out what exact boundaries a foreign scenery use.If the sizes are the same you can deactivate the area you don't want.

My convention is: the biggest size if the toc files is the highest level of elevation detail. So if I compile elevation from 9 to 11 my size for cultivation would be 11, to avoid flying buildings.

What do you think?

• Well, it works in the addon location.

I have the DVD Version (Win10).

It works in

C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Aerofly FS 2\scenery\czechrepublic

and in the folder defined by:

<[string8][extra_user_folder][D:\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator Addons]>

-> D:\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator Addons\scenery\czechrepublic

If it does not work with steam or mac we habe to rethink the structure.

We never put addons in the IPACS Program folder…

• by the way… the extra_user_folder is currently not existing in my main.mfc…

Still in the tm.log the location load:

1.55-module_update: scenery folder 0: 'C:/Users/micha/Documents/Aerofly FS 2/scenery/'

1.56-module_update: scenery folder 1: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/09_9b80_a400_Krim/'

1.56-module_update: scenery folder 2: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/comores_mayotte/'

1.56-module_update: scenery folder 3: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/czechrepublic/'

1.56-module_update: scenery folder 4: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/czechrepublic_buffer/'

1.57-module_update: scenery folder 5: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/edpatino/'

1.57-module_update: scenery folder 6: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/elevation/'

1.57-module_update: scenery folder 7: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/flightXtreme/'

1.57-module_update: scenery folder 8: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/germanynorth/'

1.58-module_update: scenery folder 9: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/images/'

1.58-module_update: scenery folder 10: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/Martinique/'

1.58-module_update: scenery folder 11: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/nepal/'

1.58-module_update: scenery folder 12: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/orbx_ftxnld/'

1.59-module_update: scenery folder 13: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/orbx_lowi/'

1.59-module_update: scenery folder 14: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/orbx_lsgk/'

1.59-module_update: scenery folder 15: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/places/'

1.60-module_update: scenery folder 16: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/tanzania/'

1.60-module_update: scenery folder 17: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/venice/'

1.60-module_update: scenery folder 18: '../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/xref/'

So Aerofly must remember my custom addon folder.

:/

• On my MacBookPro it only works if first the splitting into the file types elevation/images/places takes place and then the localization cz/de/dk/usw comes, here at the current example:

.../scernery/elevation/cz/ele_8a00_a980_prague/maph-Dateien

.../scernery/images/cz/img_8a00_a980_prague/map-Dateien

.../scernery/places/cz/apt_8a00_a980_prague/LKPR...Dateien

.../scernery/places/cz/cul_8a00_a980_prague/cul-Dateien

Please see my Post #13 with the correction

• Interesting… good to known. If this is the case, i need to reorganize everything.

Where exactily is your .../scernery folder? Is it a path mapped by a <[string8][extra_user_folder] entry or is it in a default location (where is the default location on a mac?)?

• The original directory after installing ASF2 is for the scenery data:

• Macintosh HD/Programme/Aerofly FS 2.app/Contents/Resources/scenery/...

For the individual additional files of flight-sim.org and fscloudport.com I use the directory which was also created during the installation of ASF2:

• Macintosh HD/Benutzer/myname/Library/Containers/com.aerofly.aerofly-fs-2-mac/Data/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 2/scernery/...

But when downloading files, I always load them directly into this directory where I want the data to be.

• I strongly support using the "download code" from AeroScenery = "09_8a00_a980". Then it's easy to keep track of the areas.

This is also especially important if you want to expand areas.

Well, I think it is not enough-

Not all users using aeroscenery.

I don't use the aeroscenery output directly in the sim, I copy it.

If I look at all areas in the scenery folder I have no clue what 09_45a0_a600 means. And I can definitely not find a specific folder fast if I need to go through many different similar looking folders.

If I am looking in the WorkingFolder of AeroScenery it would be better to use map_ instead of img_. (By the way, you can simply fake an existing tile in aeroscenery by adding the folderstructure by hand.

But I definitely like the extension of _munich so you really quickly find the folder you are looking for.

• I am allowed to correct myself, because even on the Mac it works to save the files according to this system:

addons/scenery/name_of_scenery/

• documentation/... (z.B.: jpg, pdf)
    • elevation/ ...
    • images/ ...
    • places/ ... (airports and cultivations)

So I am happy.